Aztec Nail Tutorial with Polly!

I am SO excited to featuring my good friend Polly on my blog...this girl is a nail genius!
She constantly transforms her own nails into little works of art, and does it all herself at home. When I asked her to come and share her talents, she immediately whipped up this gem of a tutorial on Aztec nails!

The nails are so gorgeous, and it's so exciting to have this original tutorial on my blog...I hope she comes again soon! So here goes, over to Polly...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm Polly and I love doing my nails. That's all you really need to know about me, well I also love pink, glitter, fashion, Beyonce, clothes, bags and dancing (in that order). I always paint my nails when there is something more important to do, mostly work, so it has become my favourite thing to do. Hopefully this will be the first of many nail tutorials that you will see from me so hopefully you will all like them and try them out for yourself!

Today I am going to put my own ideas into Aztec nail design, I have done these a few times now and each time I use different colours and designs which all create totally different and a new twist upon this trend. They are so cute and can go with any look, so why dont you try them for yourself! Some parts are quite tricky if you havent got a steady hand so some help may be required.

Firstly you will need a selection of bright colours, a white for the base, a black stripe polish or nail art pen, a clear for a top coat and some tip guides or tape...

1. Start off with the basic prep for you nails, take off any polish residue, push back your cuticles, file into your prefered shape and buff the top of your nails so you have a perfect canvas. After this paint a base coat to protect your nails from discolouring.

2. Paint 2 coats of white on your nails, making sure the first coat is dry before you apply the second, this will provide the base colour for all the others. The white also makes the other colours really pop on your nails. You will now have to wait a good few hours for this white to really dry and harden so that you are able to stick the tape on top and not ruin it.


3. After you know that the white is really dry (I know you will all be tempted to power on with the colours, but trust me with this you will get better results when it is really dry) you can prepare and stick on your guide lines. You can use Tip guides or tape, but I used electrical tape which worked really well. stick these on in stripes so you can still see a good amount of white inbetween.

4. Paint different colours inbetween the tape, choose colours that are bright so they really pop! It is best to do a few thin layers instead of one thick layer, this makes it easier to peel the tape off later.

5. You will have to wait again for these stripes to dry to be able to peel off the tape and keep the lines perfect. When they are dry peel off slowly to reveal the stripes.

6. Now for the fun and tricky part, you will need a really steady hand for this! Line each stripe with a thin black line to frme the colours. then decorate the stripes with Aztec designs like triangles, dots, horizontal lines and anything else you wish. After you have finished your design top with a clear coat to seal and to add shine and voilà!!!




P <3

What I used:
Blanc raffine - Bourjois
Clear - Beauty UK
Pink explosion - Beauty UK
Lemon drop - Rimmel
Tangerine - M&S
Acid yellow - Barry M
Golden treasure - H&M
Pattie - Andrea Fulerton

Comments

  1. Very cute! I will have to give it a try! more please!

    Jeri,
    http://justafashionistastuckinbville.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so gorgeous aren't they! definitely! polly is going to HAVE to come to Wonderland again :) xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow wow wow! Love them xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks to Polly! She's amaaaaazing xxx

      Delete
  3. i like doing nail art...(although amature, but trying! LOL)... you just gave me an idea what to do on my nails next...

    nice blog here! i'm following now..

    you can check and follow mine too...

    www.niqueinit.blogspot.com
    NIQUE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same-glad this has provided some inspiration! Xxxx

      Delete
  4. OMG, I love your nails ! They look so cute :)
    Im glad you like photo of guy with baby, on my blog. You asked me for his name. and his name is Cam Gigandet.
    Im just having SUNDAY WISH-LIST ,and I would be really happy if you could join it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! OH GOD YES, he's so gorgeous! xxx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful nails! I tagd you!
    http://www.ad-driana.blogspot.com/2012/01/news-tag.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  6. possibly the most amazing nails I have ever seen!

    Sophie x

    http://lafashionfolie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! that's such a compliment- polly is such a genius! xx

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, I don't think I could ever do that without making a total mess! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should try!! just need some time & you'll be fine :) xx

      Delete
    2. p.s have now followed your blog :) x

      Delete
  8. you're genius!!!
    amazing nails!!!
    xoxo Marika

    http://laviecestchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nooo this is my friend polly's handy-work! but thankyou, i think she's reading this too :) xxx p.s love your blog!

      Delete
    2. p.s have now also followed your blog- love it! hope you're following wonderland xx

      Delete
  9. I love Aztec nails. :)
    By the way, I tagged you in a random facts post. :)
    http://urhappybunnie.blogspot.com/2012/01/tagged-random-facts-and-questions.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. naww thankyou :) have followed your lovely blog too xx

      Delete
  10. I love these nails! I am so glad I came across your blog! I love it, now a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you so much! am following your blog too :) xxx

      Delete
  11. wow, i have never seen nails like these before. good job!
    i followed. by the way i'm new in blogger so you can check out my fashion blog if you want
    http://fashionblogsbym.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i am heading over to your blog now and following :) xxx

      Delete
  12. omg! they are amazing..keep doing cool designs..your very talented!
    love this post:)

    http://elliebeaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will pass this onto polly- she should definitely do more, hopefully for this blog!

      have just followed your blog :) xxx

      Delete
  13. i LOVE doing Aztec nails and you done them great your really talented!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! polly did the nails- shes a star :) aztec nails are the BEST xxx
      p.s am now following your blog :)

      Delete
  14. Hei! I just found your blog and it is amazing!

    I am following your blog and I hope you will follow mine too!

    xoxo,
    Ana V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you very much Ana! I am now following your blog too :) xxxx

      Delete
  15. This is so intricate~!! Such a cool design.
    I love your blog! Would you like to follow each other?
    http://dallasdivadiaries.com
    Take care and keep in touch!
    XOXO
    Janie
    dallasdivadiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Janie!
      Of course!! Am now following the Dallas Diva Diaries ;) love the name!
      xxxxx

      Delete
  16. Hi : ), thanks for the comment on my blog! This tutorial is so cute, I love the aztec details on the nails, I've always wanted to that with my nails, but I have no idea where to buy thin brush nail varnishes for decorating nails with intricate designs.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome :) I have a little nail art pen that I picked up in New Look for about 3 pounds, and I know that in Superdrug there are a whole range of inexpensive nail art products- from little pens, to sparkles and crystals! hope that helps xxxx

      Delete
  17. Amazing!I love this nailart!:)Thank you to following my blog!kisses :)
    xoxo
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome! its a gorgeous blog xxx

      Delete
  18. This look is so awesome! I seriously cant wait to try it out for myself. thanks for the tips!

    much love,
    lauren xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome!

      am your newest follower- wish i'd followed earlier, would have LOVED to win that zebra dress!!

      xxxx

      Delete
  19. WOW WOW WOW this is soooo freakin cool!!!!! MUST TRY IT!

    http://jimpricute.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely!!!

      am your newest follower :) xxx

      Delete
  20. wow, those are really good. Your friend is good at doing her nails!!
    I am following your blog :)

    http://thefashionpalace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she is indeed! thank you.

      i'm following yours too :) xxx

      Delete
  21. Oh my, so amazing, I have to show this blog to my best friend, she always looks for great tutorials like this one! You have such a great blog, I'm glad I've come across to it! I was wondering if you would like to check and/or follow my blog. If so, let me know so I can also follow you with Google Friend Connect :)

    Love, Mary
    http://teenfashiondiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, it's an awesome tutorial isn't - Pollys a genius with the nails! Thank you about the blog, it's lovely to hear! I am now following your blog too xxx

      Delete
  22. Hello i came across your blog by a comment of yours, and i love it.
    i love that you take the time to feature other bloggers as well. shows how kind and polite you are. i find this little tutorial fascinating. i will totally try this out. its a lot easier than i thought it would be.
    by the way would u mind checking out my blog?
    http://lureofthedarkside.blogspot.com/
    i would love some feedback.
    i am of course following you via GFC and i would love if you followed me back, but be sure that this is not a typical follow me and i'll follow you back comment. i really take time to check out the blogs i follow. and i would appreciate it if you did the same for me.
    we should support each other.
    if you think as i do then comment back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Marianne, thank you for your lovely comment & for taking the time to read and check out lots of my posts, very sweet of you! Am loving your blog too- the get the look outfit posts are awesome. Am your newest follower!! Take care xxx

      Delete
  23. Oh wow, these Aztec nails are fantastic, what a great tutorial hun! Very creative and so precisely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam, hope you're following Wonderland! I'm the newest follower of Frills and Thrills! xxx

      Delete
  24. great toutorial, thanks, love it.
    i am your follower, pls follow back if you like my blog.

    http://aprettylife13.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome aurelia- by the way, that is SUCH a gorgeous name! am following your blog now! xxx

      Delete
  25. Thank you so much for the lovely comment and for following me! I'm following you back now. Hope you have a lovely day!
    XO, Janie
    http://dallasdivadiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. No worries! Thank you for following me too :) take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi dear, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow that looks awesome!!! :)

    xoxo Daisy

    -> MY BLOG <-

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW! This is AMAZING! I wnat to try this sooo bad. But I'm afraid I will really mess it up. OH but HOW BAD I want this! We'll see what happens next time I pick up the nailpolish :)
    Thanks so much for letting us in on the HOW though :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love, love, LOVE these..!

    FJM

    x

    http://flapjackmelody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this! I've been wanting to try this myself but my nails are too small. :(

    teaandbubbly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This post is absolutely awesome! I'm a big fan of manicures and especially fun ones! Aztec print was big this season! nice to see another way to incorporate it in a look;)

    Thanks hun for sharing!

    Xx

    Alexandra

    www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This puts my Aztec Nails attempt to shame!!! I am going to now try it the proper way lol xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody has mental health.

Alice Vandy

Peaches & Cream Make Up